Securing computers, servers, and IoT devices is an ever-changing process. As organizations work to keep environments secure, there is always one constant, inevitable challenge – USERS. Organizations can apply all the appropriate safeguards – including AV/Anti-malware, Threat Detection, OS Updates, Password Policies, Backups, Firewalls, and Encryption – but when it comes down to it, the underlying factor beneath any security strategy that dictates its success is that all organizations have users. In today’s business culture, users have become the paramount challenge – considering anytime access to devices and data, increasing user mobility and the associated risks that change with each generation of users that come and go.
Data security is paramount in today’s business culture. Companies want to lockdown and secure access to their intellectual property and any collected personal data. With that in mind, OS upgrades, migrations, and device replacements are a standard activity in today’s business best practices. But how can you manage both Security and Migrations without one suffering?
Migrating secure encrypted data can be problematic to say the least; sometimes causing data loss, or even bricked devices after migration. Decryption is an option, but requires the end user to re-encrypt after the migration is complete, creating greater risk of security gaps. This is why security before, during, and after the migration has always been a hot topic. Many systems require the PC to decrypt prior to the migration, then encrypt again after the migration, leaving data vulnerable during the transition and potentially never re-instated without proper checks and balances afterwards. Other products such as MBAM/BitLocker allow you to “suspend” encryption during the migration, but with increasingly strict compliance obligations, there is no room for risk at any stage in the process.
All of this is why WinMagic and Swimage have teamed up to create a new dynamic secure OS migration solution. It allows users or IT admins to migrate devices from Windows 7 to 10, often in less than 60 minutes, enabling businesses to keep pace without waiting for I.T.’s schedule. The jointly-deployed solution also eliminates many risks, protecting information and ensuring systems remain secure and encrypted before, during and after migration. On top of that, it minimizes downtime typically associated with OS migration, and it’s simple enough that a user can even self-migrate with the use of a remote deployment kit. I.T. can also deploy remotely with ease, and as often as needed to improve stability of devices, rather waiting for end-of-life. Better yet, users, domains and applications are all provisioned automatically in the process, enabling greater control over which applications users can have installed on their device. Together, WinMagic’s SecureDoc, added on top of the Swimage solution creates a near “picture-perfect” answer for what we like to call, “Secure OS Lifecycle Management ”.
What does it Mean for You?
Seamless, Secure Migration
- Zero-touch, self-migration and remote deployments simplify OS migration/updates
- Secure migrations ensure that data is encrypted throughout the process, while at the same time removing the issue of data loss with full snapshot backups before and after migration
- User data, domain and applications are securely migrated without the need for IT intervention
- IT can apply standardized applications and policy settings via the image
- Organizations can easily migrate from Windows 7/8 to 10 within minutes, all without compromise to security or privacy of data
- Security upgrades – BIOS, UEFI, MBR to GPT, TPM updates – can be implemented without the need for re-formatting
- User profiles can migrate to new domains without the need for “trust”
- Hardware replacements ensure data, applications and settings are transferred directly to the new PC, yet with a level of simplicity that a user can self-migrate
Reduced IT Support Costs
- First-tier Problems are eliminated, enabling IT to focus on high-value tasks
- Helpdesk time is freed up with increased device stability and automated re-imaging
- OS adoption is accelerated without previously unavoidable risks
- Truly “out-of-the-box” migration/updates/maintenance reduces IT overhead
Improved Reporting and Automation
- Automated email notifications simplify status updates on migration projects
- Real-time reporting enables greater visibility and control over images and applications
What about IoT?
While most of your IoT devices are restricted to outbound-only communication to minimize risk, often times they are also configured to be managed remotely. Problem is, organizations cannot block all ports or data transmission without risking unexpected behavior. But if organizations understand and have an inventory of their IoT devices, agents can be installed to monitor these devices. That’s why WinMagic and Swimage have teamed up to secure the IoT device by encrypting and maintaining the OS in a secure, known state. Swimage can monitor the IoT device and know when there are any unwanted malware seeds, triggering an automatic re-image of the device, while taking a snapshot for threat handling and forensics afterwards. Together, these solutions ensure more secure and easy to manage IoT devices.
Re-Imagine, Re-Imaging with Secure OS Lifecycle Management
Leveraging SecureDoc and Swimage, organizations will only have to encrypt once – it is set and forget. Now, IT departments can become more efficient on deployment and migration processes, and the user can only apply what is given to them during the deployment stages, making the environment more secure and less prone to user errors. Highly-skilled IT staff now have less overhead on application auditing, because it will all be provisioned and enforced within the image. And of course, compatibility issues typically associated with deploying encryption will become issues past, since specific BIOS/Driver “compatibility checks” can be embedded within the image itself. So, what does this mean? Ultimately, it means protecting sensitive intellectual or personal data at all times, reducing compatibility and user issues, and radically simplifying OS migration and updates for both IT, and of course, the users.
To learn more about the jointly-deployed Secure OS Lifecycle Management solution, visit swimage.com